Thursday, April 11, 2019

Physical Therapy - The Dos and Don'ts




Hello again, friends and readers!  It's been a while since I have posted, and there is a good reason for that.  Knee replacement surgery.  I knew it was time.  That blasted knee has haunted every trip we have taken for the last 2 years.  The slightest misstep made it swell.

Even though I am a dedicated believer in exercise, there were times when I had to cut back.  When the knee swelled, there were certain pants that were pushed to the back of the closet.  No skinny jeans, that's for sure.  Not sure why, but standing was worse than walking, so it I was in a situation where I was expected to stand still, I would pace back and forth rather than stay in place.




After hearing the options for anesthesia, we chose something called a "knee block."  This choice includes a spinal and a sedative so one falls asleep for the hour long surgery.  I woke up feeling wonderful and drinking coffee in the recovery room.  The surgery went exactly as the surgeon expected, and I was up walking with a physical therapist early that evening.  Twice more the next morning before they released me to go home.





Sam was such a wonderful guy, taking good care of me.  Did all the cooking and cleanup.  Picked out an excellent BBC series to pass the time.  Brought me ice for the swelling.  Drove me to post op visits and lots of physical therapy appointments.  He also took me out for lunches whenever he thought I might be tired of being homebound.  I felt spoiled just a little bit.




Maybe I even started acting a little spoiled too.  Most times I pretty much know if a spanking is imminent.  I can read Sam's face and know if I have stepped in some doody.  His brow furrows, and he gets kind of quiet.  Then the ax falls.  But I've had fair warning.  Every once in a while, though, a spanking comes right out of the blue.  As far as I know I have been the perfect wife.  

                                          Then.....Bam!

Sam had driven me to PT that morning and waited with his Kindle in the lobby to bring me home.  Usually, following the exercise, my therapist would ice down the knee, top and bottom, for 15 minutes.  This time I promised I would apply the ice when I got home.  That was my intention as I hung up my coat and set my purse on the table. 




"You'll need to wait on that ice a little longer," Sam said.  "I think I'm gonna to take care of a little more physical therapy you need today," and reached for my hand.

"But I didn't do any....."

"Oh, but you have," he corrected and by that time we were to our bedroom.




Well, Sam was in charge of therapy now.  He pulled down the black knit pants I was wearing.  Then he arranged me over his knee on the edge of the bed and made sure my bad knee was safe and comfortable.


Apparently I had been telling him what to do and how to drive all morning.  Since I couldn't really remember my bossiness, Sam was good enough to repeat all my indiscretions.  I had to admit, there were quite a few once he had listed them for me.




There was no paddle, but his hand was very busy.  Between protests I kept thinking of my morning PT session.  All the repetitions that Sandy was putting me through.  Thirty repetitions here and 30 more there.

"Now stand on one foot and stick out your bottom a bit so your knee doesn't extend past your toes," she said.  I should have seen the foreboding there for sure!

"Okay, now for some resistance.  Let's do 5 minutes to start.  I know it's hard; just grin and bear it," she directed.  Oh, that's easy for you to say.  Just try it from my position.

Sam was putting me through my paces, and there was one big muscle that was getting mighty sore.  He finally slowed down and then did some rubbing.  His voice changed too.

"I know you don't like being less active or curbing your normal schedule.  That's the breaks, Ells."




 He helped me up and looked into my eyes.

"I will help you every step of this recuperation, but let's keep things happy and remember who's boss."

                                          Point taken, Sam.



When I finally pulled the ColPac out of the freezer, I had a moment of indecision.  There were now two places on my body that were inflamed and needed cooling down.  Knee or .....?  Mmm...?  

                                               What to do ?


22 comments:

  1. I know which body part got the cold pack, Ella ... nothing like a little bum glow to keep you company for the rest of the day :))) I'm happy to see you back here and of course,
    I would expect to hear that Sam has been giving you nothing but the best care and attention ... I hope your mending is almost complete ... hugs! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NJ, I am doing well. Walking is easy again, and I am back to my full regime of exercise. It feels wonderful.

      I really liked your phrase "little bum glow," my friend. Paints a happy picture when I think of it.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  2. Ella,
    I am laughing at you briefly thinking of putting that ice pack on your rear end! I think if Sam would have caught you doing that, he would have spanked again!

    Knee surgery...... the replacement only took an hour? That seems like a huge job for an hour. I tore both ACL's and each surgery was 4 hours! But, that was many years ago. Anyway, I do know about the physical therapy and recovery. Hang in there! Thanks for the update on what you've been up to over there. Glad you're on the mend. Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right, Windy. Besides after reading NJ's comment, I have to admit I like to hold on to that little bum glow!

      I was also was amazed to find out that the surgery is only one hour. The doctor advised me NOT to watch a YouTube video of such surgery. I guess it is mostly sawing!

      I am doing very well now that the surgical site finally closed! Will have to have the other one done eventually, but I am not looking forward to it.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  3. My goodness, Ella, LOL. For your safety from another butt warming, I hope you followed directions! LOL Not icing your knee would be begging for one, and undoing what he'd done by soothing it would make it twice as worse! LOL What is it with men that have such great memories as to remember every infraction? The Duke seems to be lacking in this skill, maybe I should be thankful, and not wishing on it. LOL
    Hugs, EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't remember being so bossy, but Sam surely did. And the ice really did end up on my knee.

      Loving being active again and visiting in blogland.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  4. You have a talent - you can do without thinking what I can't do if I try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are referring to my being bossy, it is a skill I have developed since childhood. I was the oldest and took bossiness to new levels. I need duct tape when I am in the car with Sam.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  5. Well Ella Ella - congrats on the new knee! That's a big step that will lead to much stepping without the pain and swelling. Yippee. Good stuff. As for the rest of the story, I saw a kid in a shirt the other day that said, "I'm not bossy. I just have really LOUD leadership skills." Maybe we get you one of those shirts. :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. The new knee is very strong. Although it is still a little swollen, that gets better every day. If you think of Lucy in the Charlie Brown cartoons, that is pretty much me. "Advice 5 Cents"

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  6. Hi Ella,

    It's great to see you post! Knee replacement, wow! Glad the surgery went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery, I hope the recovery is going well.

    Glad to hear Sam has been taking such great care of you, in more ways than one :) I don't think I have heard spanking referred to as physical therapy before lol, but I love it!

    I had to giggle too at your moment of indecision as to where to apply the ice pack lol. I'm with NJ though, nothing like a little post spanking after burn :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be back writing again. I am recovering much better now. The biggest problem was that every time I did the physical therapy, the surgical site would open back up a bit. And it was impossible to sit at the computer without the swelling going crazy.

      After all, spanking is a physical activity, and it is therapeutic since it keeps me thinking before I speak. I just thought Sam was clever to think of it that way.

      Faraway Hugs to Roz,
      Ella

      Delete
  7. Glad your knee is better and the PT is working. Sam seems to have things well in hand at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunny,
      It feels great to be exercising again. And I am still including all the PT ones for now. I almost have full range of motion now. Just a little way to go. Loved your pun, my friend!

      Ella Smiling

      Delete
  8. Ella,

    So happy that Sam is looking after your physical therapy. Perfect. Glad you are doing well.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, Ronnie. Am doing so much better. Don't even need the ice anymore. Been missing chatting in blogland for sure. I am good again.....until they decide to operate on the other knee!

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  9. Ella,
    First off, I am glad you are back.

    Second, there are two lines in your post that caused me pause. One......" then the ax falls" and the other "remembering who is the boss". Like you, I get so involved in what we are doing, that my role in our marriage gets muddled and then we have problems. I have been known to miss that look from Jack that gives me far warning. Jack always knows how to bring us back every single time. It makes me always feel safe.

    I am glad that things are healing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mere. You are right. It is when I get on a roll that I stop listening to myself. But the spanking brings me back and it really does feel safe.

      This wasn't the only reminder during my long recuperation. There were several times that I forgot who's boss. Thanks again for the good wishes.

      Ella

      Delete
  10. This made me laugh. I am glad that you are doing well in your recovery and I am even happier that Sam is doing his part in helping out in all ways. Keep up the good work and try to heed Sam's words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling much stronger now, Blondie. We almost always have a "Weekend Adjustment" on Saturday mornings. It helps me to remember who's the boss.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  11. So happy to hear the surgery went well and you are on the mend, Ella. Glad too that Sam is looking after you so well...
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie Girl,
      Sam did a splendid job really. He waited on me hand and foot. I think that's how I got spoiled really.

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete