Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Ella's Bookshelf - A Cowboy's Love





What do I love most about Leigh Smith's cowboy stories?  That's easy.  The woman just knows how to build a cowboy.  Big, handsome, honorable, brave, sexy, hard-working, firm, masculine, kindhearted, dominant, loyal, and loving.  Our Sunny makes each one of her cowboys an individual, but she seems to use these building blocks to deliver a character that gives each of her books a solid pillar around which to write us a brand new tale.  It's no secret that Ella's bookshelf is filled with cowboy stories, and so very many of them are by Leigh.






Title:  A Cowboy's Love

Author:  Leigh Smith


Number of Pages:  128

Themes:  Sacrifice, Loyalty,  Triumph over Adversity

Main Characters:

  • Marsh Tucker - The serious hard-working cowboy who has been to war and finally found his way back home.  He is devoted to his family and their ranch.  He knows a thing about wild horses which is a trait he will need as he gets to know Grace.

  • Grace Callahan - aka Annabelle Steele.  The pampered daughter of a wealthy Philadelphia family.  She decides to call herself "Grace" when she sees no option but to run away from a terrible match made by her parents.

  • Jameson Henry Bartlett - The rich man chosen as a suitable husband for the Steele family's daughter.  He shows Grace a side of his character that makes this independent young woman leave the only home she has ever known.

  • Maddy Tucker - The widow who long ago came to the ranch with Marsh as a boy.  She arrives as a housekeeper, but her wisdom and no-nonsense love win her a place alongside the owner.  Her tender care and tutelage of Grace is just what the girl needs.

  • Bull Johnson - The name fits this character to a tee.  I love the descriptive "curmudgeon."  (Sometimes, I might describe Sam that way.)  He is the ranch's owner.  Although Maddy won't marry him, they live as man and wife.  He treats Marsh as his son unquestionably.
 




Setting:  The Winding Creek Ranch in the Arizona Territory during the late 1800's.





While out searching for stray horses, Marsh Tucker happens upon a serious stagecoach accident.  He quickly tries to help those who are hurt and sadly counts the dead. The cowboy is wary as he goes about this and cannot shake the feeling of being watched.  Among the people who are rescued and taken to the Winding Creek Ranch is a young woman who calls herself Grace Callahan.  Bull and Maddy open their home to her and the rest.  Grace seems reluctant to share much about who she is, but Marsh sees her as a rich, little run away.






It seems like Maddy is the one who first notices the attraction the two have for each other, but Marsh seems more inclined to spank the headstrong Grace than whisper sweet nothings in her ear.  "Girl, you sure are stubborn," he rants.  They are all cautious, though, once they learn about the horrible Jameson Bartlett who has followed the fiance' who spurned him back in Philadelphia.






No kidding.  It wouldn't have surprised me if this evil dude had decided to tie Grace to the railroad tracks!  Of course, Sunny wouldn't have written anything that trite, but you get the picture.  He lays in wait like a snake preparing to strike.  And much later in the story when he does finally make his move, Grace proves she is no shrinking violet.  Remember to breathe.





One of the most humorous passages starts when Grace decides she is buying some pants since she wants to work with the wild mustangs.  Marsh takes great exception to this and spanks her repeatedly.  "If they were ever going to be together, she had to learn that he was the one wearing the pants, not her."  The analogy practically leaped off the page while I was reading here.  Grace may be determined to break some mustangs, but Marsh is just as determined to break Grace, be it with a loving intention.  And that just leads to some delicious sexual tension.





Leigh's books always paint beautiful pictures of the magnificent country that is the background to her stories.  For some reason, her description of the landscape of Arizona seems especially gifted.  I loved when Grace "looked up and spotted a stand of trees cloaked in a mantle of gold among the many dark pines standing majestic against the backdrop of the red sandstone cliffs."





I do believe that westerns are one of my very favorite genres because they are the perfect vehicle in which to celebrate  old-fashioned masculinity.  There is usually conflict with some peaceful homesteaders, and a cowboy hero's violence only surfaces when it is necessary to protect those who are weaker and depend on him.  For those of us who are honest enough to admit we crave a more dominant male, the cowboy is simply the perfect man.  

                        And Sunny builds you the perfect cowboy. 




         
          Further Eye Candy Just Because This is My Blog and I Can.







That's All, Folks

21 comments:

  1. Ella,
    Sunny writes the best eye/brain candy around. I love a good cowboy story. Riding the range with any one of these men would get me in plenty of trouble with Jack. Hope this book sells like flapjacks.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your "brain candy" analogy, Mere. It is those pictures we form in our brains that make reading a great joy in our lives - no matter the genre.

      Ella

      Delete
  2. Hi Ella, I just love reading your reviews and thank you for the yummy eye candy :)

    Sunny's stories never disappoint and her cowboys are definitely drool worthy. I have this book and can't wait to be able to start reading. Even more so now having read your review!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clear an afternoon, make a big pot of coffee, and enjoy this book, Roz. I'm serious when I say to "Remember to breathe," when you get to the part with the bad guy!

      Hugs All the Way to Roz!

      Delete
  3. You write the best reviews and Sunny writes the best cowboys. Of course Sunny has great book with other strong alpha males, but I do love those cowboys! This is a great book and if you are drawn to the kind of eye candy Ella showed us here - you can get it in book form with A Cowboy's Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, PK! And, yes, the cowboy ones are my favorites. Glad you liked the review, my friend. I am working on another one presently!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  4. Ella your book review is excellent. I've also read Sunny's book and loved the way she painted pictures with her wording. It was fabulous. Well done to both of you. Thanks for the eye candy!
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now see here, Lindy. Aren't there some cowboys Downunder as well? I wouldn't expect our friends across the pond to see a cowboy in their village, but you should write us a little Downunder Cowboy story.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh Ella you are such a good reviewer, mind you it is a good book. Yummy cowboys at the end there :)
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the review, Jan. I like the old cowboy movies just as well as Sunny's books. It's time for me to pull out an old one called Once Upon a Time in the West. One of my favorites.

      Love You, Too, Little Jan

      Delete
  6. Ella, have to agree with the others, you do write the best reviews. I love all SG's books. Haven't started this one yet.

    Thanks for they eye candy.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronnie. I actually need to delete some books off my Kindle so I have room for new stories. I am sure there is already a new one percolating in Sunny's head.

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  7. Ella - as I told you this is the best review. Thank you so much for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Sunny. We thank you for all the wonderful reads.

      Ella

      Delete
  8. Great review, Ella, many thanks for the extra eye candy. I love Sunny's books, especially the cowboy ones. I have this one downloaded, just need time to curl up in front of the fire with it.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, that is exactly like I read this book. Fuzzy bathrobe and the fireplace roaring. Now if I could just get rid of this cold!

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  9. I love how you wrote, 'Sunny builds the best cowboys!' She really layers a man who isn't a simplistic one dimensional hero. That goes for our heroine as well! I always love Sunny's books and am never dissatisfied!

    Ella, have you thought about reaching out far and wide to make a review site for our friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks, Minelle. Yes, the heroine was well written, too. This time, though, I wanted to concentrate on why I love western stories. There's just nothing like a cowboy.

      It is a wonderful idea about a review site, but I usually count on PK's Reading Room for some good snippets.

      Love,
      Ella

      Delete
  10. Ella,
    Thank you for the reminder. I've been so busy I'd forgotten to update my Kindle with some new books. Thanks, love your review!

    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, get right on that, Baker. :) I like to read in bed at night. Call it "my time." I am working on another book and review to appear soon!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  11. WOW..I have to agree with everyone, you do know how to write a book review...having a great book to write about helps. Love the 'eye candy'.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete