1. Name a tender song that can almost make you cry.
"Remember When" by Alan Jackson. I know every word and every note. I had tickets to see him last September, but it was just one more thing I missed that month because I was so sick. There were lots of tears.
2. What is your favorite shade of lipstick? What about nail polish? If you do not wear lipstick or polish, what do you like or dislike about the shades you see others wear?
My favorite lipstick is called "Canela Necar" and is a shimmery pinkish tan. As far as polish is concerned, if I do wear one, it is usually a soft champagne color. However, I have to be pretty consistent using a nail hardener or they split.
3. Name a children's nursery rhyme or song that you loved and to which you remember all the words.
There was a ragtime song called "The Washington Waddle" that we used to sing at girls' camp. There was a prelude to it, though, that was a variation of a very old song titled, "Desert Blues." We sang it in the dining room after meals and also around the campfire. I always taught it to my school kids every year, and they loved it.
"Let's all go down to Washington DC,
That's where they play that ragtime melody,
4. What outfit would you put on in the morning if you wanted to feel happy and well dressed? Something in which you think you look pretty damn good!
Cream sleeveless tank under an olive green jacket. Favorite jeans on the bottom. Little metallic ballet flats. Brass earrings and a big pile of stretch bracelets. Practically a uniform for Ella.
5. If you had enough money to buy just one, would it be a cottage by the ocean or a cabin in the mountains?
Hard to decide that one. I think I would buy the cabin in the mountains. That is where I think the sunrises are the most beautiful. Then I might just rent a cottage on the beach for a week. Best of both worlds, especially since this dream is being funded by Monopoly money.
6. If you are old enough, which one of the Beatles did you have a "thing" for? If you are not that old, tell us a musician that really did it for you.
Has to be Paul McCartney. OMG, I thought he was sooo pretty. I hardly gave the others a glance. This infatuation eventually wore off. "I Want to Hold Your Hand......"
7. Name a smell that you love - could be kitchen, outdoors, person, your choice.
Oh, what I would give if we could still burn leaves in the fall. I loved that smell. We would rake and rake until we had a huge pile and then jump in them and laugh our little asses off. Then Dad would start them up with a lighter. My little green corduroy jacket would smell so wonderful for a whole week.
8. How often do you defuzz your legs. Wax, razor, or electric?
I am pretty consistent with three times a week. I do not have pretty legs, and my feeling is that at least they should be smooth.
9. How/why did you choose your blog name?
Ella was my grandmother's name. She was a very straight-laced lady who never missed church. Boy, could she cook and bake. She shopped for fresh food every day. She used to buy me paper dolls at Ben Franklin whenever I came to visit. We would cut them out together and watch Lawrence Welk.
10. What do you like to eat for breakfast? To drink? Coffee or tea?
Fruit, especially grapefruit, is a must. Then it could be a whole wheat English muffin or bagel. Decaf coffee is an all day thing for me in the winter months. Several times a week, I will have scrambled egg whites instead.
11. How many siblings do you have? Or are you an only child? Are you the oldest, a middle, or the youngest child?
I have 3 siblings - one brother and two sisters. I am the oldest and certainly the bossiest of the four of us. Sam will attest to the truth of this answer.
12. What is your favorite salad dressing?
Has to be Caesar dressing. Adore a chicken Caesar salad. If there is fresh Parmesan and garlic croutons, it is a bit of heaven.
13. If you could sit next to anyone (alive) on a long plane trip, who would you pick?
Well, I always have a good time with Sam, but if this was a once in a lifetime wish from the Travel Fairy, I think I would choose Benedict Cumberbatch. He is a fascinating actor. His portrayal of Hamlet was simply amazing. And I am a huge fan of Sherlock.
14. Have you ever gone shopping just to cheer yourself up?
Sam would probably answer this question with another question. "Ella, have you ever not gone shopping to cheer yourself up?"
15. If there is one thing that can make you lose your temper, what would it be?
Oh, my friends, the list here could rival the length of War and Peace. My temper is infamous. Most consistently it is other drivers or stupid people that waste my time. I am really working on this fault. Seriously.
16. Tell us about the best photograph you have ever had taken.
I usually take an awful picture, so there are not that many photos vying for the coveted first place position. There is an informal one of Sam and I just as we turned around as man and wife to all the family and friends in the little chapel. I have a very self-satisfied grin on my face.
17. Have you ever gone skinny-dipping and where?
Damn, this is one of the great disappointments of my life! I have never been and have always wanted to very much. As I face retirement, I have started a formal bucket list, and this activity is definitely on it. For sure!
18. What do you like on your pizza? What don't you like on your pizza?
Sorry to be so boring, but I most like Italian sausage and extra mozzarella cheese. I love a deep dish true-blue Chicago pizza. Home Run Inn is a favorite "pie." I abhor Canadian bacon and pineapple.
Can't wait to hear from you. :)
The last time I did a meme, I left out 2 items.
Just didn't want to share that information.
Please feel free to skip a few questions if you choose.