Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Great Online Cookie Exchange - Jimmy's Biscochitos




Many years ago when our boys were quite young, we went to visit Grandma and Grandpa in New Mexico for Christmas.  Didn't miss the Chicago weather one bit that year.  It was a wonderful holiday filled with tumbleweed snowmen, luminarias and snow on the mountains.  Lots of parties, presents, and good food.




My mother simply did not bake -  not when I was a kid and not for her grandchildren either.  She did give the gift of love and laughter, though.  There were plenty of sweets thanks to me and so many visitors.  One friend of my parents walked in with a huge tray of a cookie named "Biscochitos."  He was a lovely man and a veteran, too!  I discovered that Jimmy was of Hispanic heritage and quite the baker.  With coffee I just couldn't stop eating those cookies.  The flavor was so unique and positively melted in your mouth.  The kids had hot chocolate with theirs.




While I was indulging, Jimmy told me about these traditional New Mexican cookies.  They are quite famous and were made by the early Spanish colonists who came to explore and settle.  They are a delicious crispy butter cookie flavored with anise seed and cinnamon.  The texture is similar to shortbread.




Since we took that trip long ago, I have been told that biscochitos were made the first ever official "State Cookie."  In New Mexico it is a traditional Christmas treat.  We have enjoyed them every Christmas since then and hope you will, too.  Below is Jimmy's recipe, although he spells the name of the cookie with a "z."  I have copied it here in exactly his words.  You will giggle when you get to the part of what to use as a cookie cutter.

Bizcochitos

1 cup sugar
2 cups lard

2 eggs
6 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
Anise seed to taste (start with 1 tablespoon & add to taste)
Sugar & Cinnamon mixture ( 1 t cinnamon & 1/2 cup sugar)


Cream lard with a mixer thoroughly.  Add sugar and anise seed.  Beat eggs and add to lard mixture.  Add water and knead.  Roll dough 1/4 inch thick and cut cookies using a shot glass.  Place cut
This is the brand Jimmy uses.
cookies on a cookie sheet next to each other.  Bake in oven at 425° until the cookies are slightly brown.  (Approximately 20 minutes.)  Keep an eye on the cookies because they can burn quite quickly.  In a separate bowl, create a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.  When the cookies come right out of the oven, gently mix the warm cookies in this mixture.  Makes a lot of cookies.





I did a little research for this post and found that they have other names or spellings.  They are also called bizcochos, polvorones, and mantecados.  They can be cut in diamonds or crescent moons and covered with powdered sugar as well.  This cookie can be served at baptisms, religious holidays, weddings, and quincenieras, too.  I found a quote from an elderly Hispanic lady who said,

"You must have the hands (manos) to make a delicious biscocho that will melt in your mouth.  It's working the dough just right and making sure that love is added to each one.  You have to love making them because anyone who has made them will tell you that it is hard work.  That is the secret to making a good biscocho."

              Also, if you open the tin and find one that is broken, 
                             it is good luck to eat that one first. 



Baker
Bleue
blossum
Bogey and Bacall
Cat
collaredmom
DelFonte
Greengirl
Jz
Katie
Kelly
Lindy
Mrs. Fever
Ms Dixie Wrecked
nilla
Olivia
ronnie
Ryan
Sassy
selkie (recipe here)

33 comments:

  1. Delicious recipe Ella and loved learning the history behind the cookie. Oh I am definitely going to add these to my list to be made by my Bear. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindy Lou,
      Don't be afraid of the lard. This cookie is so very light. Greetings to your Bear!

      Sending Hugs Down Under,
      Ella

      Delete
  2. Hi Ella, these look and sound awesome. I really enjoyed reading the background to these cookies, and your introduction to them. Thank you for sharing.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of them before that visit to New Mexico. Just the smell of them bring Christmas memories.

      Much Love and Prayers, too,
      Ella

      Delete
  3. Very nice, Miz Ella.
    Wonderful story and oh boy, do these look good!
    Thank you for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet to organize this wonderful day. Goodness, it is practically a tradition now. Thanks in every way!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  4. Ella, I love the story behind this recipe. They sound so delicious. Thank you. P is better at pastry than me, lighter hand.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I made them, they were not at all like Jimmy's. More like sugared rocks.

      They are so yummy. I am glad I didn't give up.

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  5. What a lovely lesson in food history. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first Christmas I ever helped to prepare the luminarias. Sand and candles in a bag. Who knew something so simple could be so beautiful.

      Merry Christmas,
      Ella

      Delete
  6. Hiya Ella! Wonderful to share this festive blogging day with you, and learn about a new treat! Have a wonderful holiday season!

    -Sassy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sassy! It is a wonderful way to start the holiday season. I always say that until I get on the scale in January.

      Seasons Greetings,
      Ella

      Delete
  7. Very tempting, but you used a four letter word - work
    Bogey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Christmas does end up being a lot of work when you think about it. Love the season anyway.

      Happy Cookie Day!
      Ella

      Delete
  8. looks like a delicious cookie...love the story behind it...I don't even think I own a shot glass so a regular cookie cutter would have to do :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terps,
      I do love a cookie with a good story behind it. Sometimes I think my blog is more of a really long chapter book.

      Christmas Hugs,
      Ella

      Delete
  9. Miss Ella,
    That sounds wonderful and another lovely recipe that needs to be tried out! I'm going to be busier than I originally thought! Love the story that went along with it.

    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baker,
      It is a good cookie and a good story and Jimmy was a good man. Enjoy your baking with all the kiddos at your house.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  10. The cookies sound great and I love the shot glass-cookie cutter! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Olivia. This is a "guy" recipe after all. I swear they come out better with a shot glass than they do with a cookie cutter!

      Happy Holidays,
      Ella

      Delete
  11. these look scrummy...something different and love hearing the background to the recipe...thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. They are not too sweet and the anise gives them a unique flavor. I had never used lard before this recipe and thought it would be to heavy. The result is opposite - a very light cookie.

      Seasons Greetings,
      Ella

      Delete
  12. What a great story. I will have to give these cookies a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In New Mexico they are served at every pot luck or open house during the Christmas season. Made with love!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  13. Such a sweet story, Ella...thank you for sharing the story and the yummy recipe!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat. You should smell the house when they are baking. Sam says he can always tell when it is biscochito day.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  14. So neat to have a story to go with the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by Dixie. I would love a real cookbook that had all the family stories included. That is such a part of good food.

      Happy Holidays,
      Ella

      Delete
  15. Ella,
    I have baked my yummy spritz and will make them again and again one batch at a time. So hard to stay out of them, but I do like your story.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mere, I wish I could taste just one. I know there will be some very special visitors this Christmas to help eat them. Enjoy the food and the family.

      Ella Smiling

      Delete
  16. Ella these sound heavenly! I can't wait to try them. (Runs out to see if the local grocery has lard)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try them with butter, but they just don't come out the same. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Greetings From Ella

      Delete
  17. Hi Ella, :) Katie t is "t for tardy" this year! HA!

    Loved the recipe, and the post. It is so neat to hear about other people's traditions. These sound yummy, and fun to make too. I'll have to give it a go- though I am not sure if the lard will like me. I am tempted to try it out with butter first. Fun to do it both ways and compare.

    Good luck to take the broken cookie first? Will do! Love that you posted the recipe just as Jimmy wrote it. The shot glass usage made me LOL! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie xoxo

    ReplyDelete