Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Once More for Good Measure




After a truly wonderful vacation across the pond, we came back to a disaster at our house.  A flood caused by an inept roofing company and a heavy rain came through our ceilings in 4 rooms destroying drywall, insulation, and carpet.  Luckily Son #1 knew exactly what to do and took care of hiring a reputable (albeit slow) restoration company.  The stuff that was not salvageable was removed.  The furniture in the affected rooms was piled in safe corners and covered in plastic. 




I knew ahead of time that the damage was substantial, but I just was not prepared for the reality of walking into a war zone.  Especially after over 27 hours in airports and on planes with no sleep.  Sam always says I am a wonderful person in a medical emergency.  I stay calm and do what's needed.  He also knows I do not do well when there's something big wrong in my house.  It also seemed like everything was covered in a thick coating of white plaster dust, even the rooms that had escaped the disaster.


The damage was bad enough that our insurance company had already offered to put us up in a hotel for the duration of the repairs, none of which could be started until it was determined that the new roof was actually watertight.  But we had already been in hotels and lodgings of some type for 4 weeks.  We wanted to be home with our dog.  And, believe it or not, the kitchen and the bedrooms were spared.  Just nowhere to sit down!




Jet lag was not my friend either.  We went to bed totally exhausted but I woke up 4 hours later.  For a second I forgot about the mess, but then the reality set in.  I honestly did try to get started on cleaning the white dust off everything in the kitchen so we could stock the fridge.  Also started some laundry.  There was plenty of that.  But I was tired and sad and felt so down that I just began to close off from everything and everybody.  Including Sam.  I did the tasks I usually do when we return from a trip, but the spark wasn't there.  I was not talking and went through the motions like a robot.




Sam tried to reassure me that things would be right again soon, and I would nod and try to hug him back.  But the days went by and nothing changed.  No ceilings and a filthy concrete floor where my living room used to be.  Not able to sleep through the night.  The only thing that did change was that I started to get angry.  Angry in a snarly sort of way.


It reminded me of a time very long ago when our home was burglarized.  I was SO, so angry that someone could violate our house - our space.  Screw up our lives and probably never even get caught and punished.  When the policeman asked us would we want to press charges if they arrested the guy, I rode right over any response Sam might have had.

                     "You're damned right I would!" I answered firmly.  
                               Of course, that was before TTWD.




And that's the same way I became about this STUPID roof contractor whose house was probably just fine!  Mouthing off and swearing every other word.  Sam told me to let the insurance company take this guy to court.  They would take him down over this mess. 

       I, however, said, "I'd rather skewer that asshole with a rake!"




Sam just looked at me for a second with his mouth open and finally stood up.

"That's enough," he said calmly.  "In the bedroom."

Well, one helluva spanking followed.  The paddle was out and I was over the bed.  And both Sam and Mr. Paddle did a lot of
talking.

  • About not getting mopey
  • About not losing my temper
  • About picking a better attitude
  • About staying positive
  • About staying patient

It was a doozy, and I finally cried.  All the frustration and anger was released, and I couldn't stop crying even when the spanking was over.  Sam hugged and comforted me.  We would get through this together.




I did feel much better.  Well, except for my bottom.  Next morning
I woke up early and felt better than I had in 4 days.  Made the coffee and kissed Sam before I got in the shower.  Did all my lotions and combed out my hair.  Suddenly Sam was behind me in the mirror.

He took my hand and I could tell he was in a spanking mood.

"But, Sam, you already..........."

"I know," he said, "but I believe a little reinforcement wouldn't hurt."




I was pretty sure it would.  I frowned and protested some more, but this time he sat on the edge of the bed and pulled me over his knee very gently.  No implement.  Just Sam's hand.  And just hard enough to keep my attention.  He said he wanted his house back just as much as I did, but more importantly, he wanted his Ella back.  Happy and chatty and with a sense of humor.

                                   Funny how TTWD works.......

                                              Ella was back.



 

25 comments:

  1. Sam is one smart fellow! I like his style. I hope he can keep you calm and happy until all is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK, you know what I thought of? When he said, "That's enough"....? I thought of Tom!!! Wonder if he has been reading my Cassie books.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  2. OMG, Ella! ... I can't imagine coming home to such a disaster from a wonderful vacation. Then to have to continue to live in the mess ... I would have been just as cantankerous as you! However, as we know, Sam has your back(side) and knows whats best for his pretty lady, Ella :)) Happy for you that he was able to spank you back to a better frame of mind :)

    I hope the repairs are moving along swiftly ... hugs! ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NJ, I do have ceilings back, but I am still waiting for carpet, some painting, and replacement solatubes. Even the time frame of the biblical 40 days and 40 nights has passed!

      Trying to Stay Positive,
      Ella

      Delete
  3. Ella,
    When you emailed me about all this, I thought how good ttwd is for situations just like this. Sam knows what to do and he acted on it. I can't imagine how hard it is returning from a fabulous trip to a disaster at home. Lean in and look forward. I am thinking about you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am trying to do better on my temper, and I was doing pretty well until it started raining in my house.

      When the going gets tough, the ttwd gets tougher.

      Thanks, Mere

      Delete
  4. Ella,

    How awful to come home to that, but how wonderful that your son stepped up to deal with it. You should be proud!

    I am glad Sam was there for you as you needed him to be.

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Boo!
      Not sure you have left a comment before, but I am most glad that you came to visit. Yes, we were very lucky that Son could help out while we were on another continent!

      Sam seems to know when I am past the breaking point.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  5. Eek, a reinforcement spanking on wet skin. Don't envy you there. Him saying he wants his Ella back, ahhh, how sweet.

    I am sorry though that things are going so badly with your house though. Man, that would be a lot of stress for anyone. I'm glad he's there to keep you with him, and help you relieve that stress.

    EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, EsMay,
      Yes, I think Sam has figured out that a post shower spanking packs some extra sting.

      I can't wait to have my house back. To sit on my comfy sofa with my coffee to watch the news.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  6. Oh, Ella, what a heavy heart you had when you got home to this mess. I would have handled it much the way you did, too, especially with the anger. There is something very unsettling to a woman when the house is in need of heavy repairs and having to live in it as the recovering and rebuilding happens TOO SLOWLY! I'm glad Sam knows how to handle you best, take care of you, including the spanking and all the emotions. I have missed you in blog land. I'm glad you're back and I hope things start to go smoothly from here on out for you and Sam. Hugs! Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding, Windy. It has been horrid. And waiting for the next sub contractor to get busy has been very difficult. I am throwing a big party when everything is back to normal.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  7. Glad Sam took care of you to help you feel calm in the light of a difficult time. Gad you are back. Hugs to you ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a spanking to relieve all the stress and anger. Didn't realize how much I needed to cry. Too bad you can't bottle that peaceful feeling that follows the paddle. One could sell it to all those women who don't have the luxury of being spanked.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  8. Welcome back Ella! Funny how a good swat can bring such a warm sense of calm to any situation. Sounds like Sam knows exactly what you need.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! Between the extended travel and the house disaster, it felt like an age since I wrote a post. Now, I just need our office to be back to normal so that I can actually sit at a desk to write.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  9. Feel bad for the mess - I know how frustrating that can be. Glad that Sam has been able to smooth things over. Just think of how nice your surroundings will be when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing you are still visiting to comment, Sunny. I really do miss your posts. Hope that some wonderful story just comes to you in a lightning bolt. I also miss your laugh, which is one of my favorite things about you, my friend.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  10. I can't imagine living in the mess. I would be exactly the same as you. Thanks goodness for ttwd. Sam know just how to calm you.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little tea and sympathy, Ronnie. Unfortunately, there is so much more to finish. I feel like Dorothy. "There's no place like home." Surely wish I had a pair of ruby slippers.

    Hugs Across the Pond,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Ella, that would have been so hard to return from your holiday to that disaster. Glad Sam took over to help you cope better. Good luck with all the repairs.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Lindy, it is so good to hear from you, my friend. We do have the ceilings back in but there is more to paint. Then carpet and skylights. Everything has to be submitted to the insurance company, which slows it down considerably.

    Sending Hugs Down Under,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ella,

    I'm sorry it has taken me so long to comment. Oh gosh, I'm so sorry you came home to that after such a wonderful vacation. That must have been so hard. It would definitely have done me in! I hope all is resolved with the minimum of fuss.

    Glad Sam knew exactly how to calm you :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roz,
      I heard that you were having trouble with your gmail. Hope that is all resolved. I had a cleaning service in last week, and I worked along with them. The living room is still off limits as the furniture is stacked, but we managed to make the rest of the house a little better. Baby steps, I guess.

      Sending Hugs Down Under,
      Ella

      Delete
  15. Ella, I’m sorry to hear about the damage to your house, it must have been awful to arrive home to that. I would have handled things the same way as you did. Thankfully Sam knew exactly what was needed to put things into perspective again, ttwd does work wonders.
    I hope by now things are well underway in getting your home back to normal.
    Good wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete