Thursday, November 15, 2018

Message to the Quiet Ones


 


Another year has flown by, and a few of my fellow bloggers have reminded me that it is time for LOL day.  First, as I usually do, let me explain that I prefer to call this "Love our Learners" day.  The word "lurker" has such a furtive connotation, and I much prefer to call those of you who choose to remain quiet as "learners" - learners who are not ready to comment yet.  Still thinking about what you read.  Still trying to understand your need to read a blog such as mine.




So this day is dedicated to speaking to our silent visitors.  Many, many more of you come to read my posts than ever leave a comment.  In fact there is one source I have come across that says you represent 90% of my readers.  When I am writing, I think of all of you quite a bit.  I am honest in my writing for Ella Ever After.  The events you read here really happen to me.  I don't embellish the stories to make them more exciting.  It's just Sam and I and what happens as we live "This Thing We Do".




I love to answer the readers who leave comments.  It is my way of saying thank you for taking the time to write to me.  And I think you do deserve to be acknowledged.  I try to be prompt unless life slows me down.  As for me, it helps so much to read the comments.  If something I wrote speaks to you, I would like to know that.  Then I understand who my audience is, and it becomes part of my consciousness as I look for a way to tell the next story about our relationship.  What would you like me to write about?



Not Too Creepy :)


There's a big difference between reading an article and reading a blog.  Although an article might list the author, for the most part reading an article is sort of a lonely, impersonal undertaking.  You certainly are not invited to send the author a hello or ask a question.  Blogs are meant to be more friendly.  Someone with
whom you can relate.  I have a name and you know my husband's name.  You know all the little useless information that makes me seem more human.  I have too many shoes.  I love Shakespeare and beer.  I have a temper (that is so much better since I became close to a fellow blogger who advises "Always Be Kind" and lives it herself.)  See there, you can grow and be a better person when you take a chance on making a friend!
 

Maybe you are not sure what you could possibly contribute with your comment.  But you might have a really good question or something you thought I could have included in a post.  Maybe you have a little story or a few thoughts you think others would find interesting, but you do not have your own blog.  I would be happy to consider reading your thoughts and giving you a guest post opportunity.  There is definitely a "rush" to seeing your story online to share with others.





Have you ever had the experience of stopping at a favorite coffee shop, and the folks behind the counter know what you are going to order before you order it?  It feels so nice to be a "regular".  To feel like part of a group.  To feel welcomed and understood.  That's the way a blog should feel.  Like you are visiting a special friend.  I try to write that way.  So that you feel I care.


So let's have a cup of coffee together today.  I will make a big pot of my favorite roast.  The smell will waft over to where I am on the computer waiting for you to drop by.  I will pour us both steaming mugs, so we can sit and chat together.  Like friends that enjoy each other's company.  Nothing formal.  Just Ella and you. 


                            Hurry up.  Your coffee is getting cold.  


   

44 comments:

  1. Happy LoL day Ella,

    What a wonderful post, great job :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend and that you make lots of new friends:)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about a friend dropping by, Roz! You are the most loyal reader. Hope you are well and happy.

      Sending Hugs Down Under,
      Ella

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Make new friends but keep the old.
      One is silver and the other is gold.

      Love you, Sunny :)

      Delete
  3. nicest thing about LOL day -- I get to discover a whole new lot of blogs (well to new to me) to read.

    Happy LOL day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Morningstar. Love your name, BTW. Welcome to Ella Ever After. I am so glad to have you visit today. Be sure to let me know if you have a blog. I like to discover new blogs as well.

      Pull up a chair. Do you take cream or sugar with your coffee, my new friend?

      Here's a Hug From Ella!

      Delete
  4. Ella,

    Happy LOL day. What a lovely wonderful post. Thank you.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy LOL Day to you, too. It always brings a smile to my face when you come to visit, Ronnie.

      Sending Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  5. Hello, Ella, my friend. I love this post and hope it will encourage lots of your silent readers to introduce themselves. Happy LOL days.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie,
      This weekend is always so much fun! Hope to make some new friends.

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  6. I still flit around, not always commenting, but I'm around. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to know, PK. You know how much I enjoy your comments and your friendship.

      Love and Hugs,
      Ella

      Delete
  7. As always, your post is one of the kindest and most generous welcomes. Hope you get many silent readers stopping by to say hello.
    Hugs!
    nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Nora Jean! I am glad the post strikes you that way. I have been lucky to get to know so many lovely people through blogging. Including you!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  8. Hi Ella

    I’ve been a lurker since 2011. Back when Stormy was blogging. She was such a witty writer and I was hooked. I’ve enjoyed reading the blogs in this community. I look forward daily to checking the different blogs and I have to say this is one of my favorites. So, even if I don’t comment just know I am lurking in the background and enjoying your blog. Happy LOL Day. Amyee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Amyee, that is a very kind compliment, and I am so happy to see your comment today! I will be thinking of you next time I am writing a post. And please leave a comment whenever you have something to say. Writers should never stagnate, and a fresh perspective is always welcome. Just like you.

      A First Hug From Ella :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, Ella! What a kind and welcoming post! It's kind of like you're carefully saying to Lurkers, "Get in here! I want to get to know your face!" I was not a lurker for more than a week as I quickly became a register reader... and then Meredith got a hold of me, and you know the story from there! I am so blessed to be among bloggers like you! And I always enjoy and appreciate your comments on my blog. I hope you get some lurkers today that comment! Oh, there is one right there! Good for you and her! Yay! Hugs! Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Windy,
      It is fun to think of meeting you this year. I couldn't imagine you being a shy and quiet reader. You have a personality and writing style that is big and happy. So glad you feel at home. Then I will know just how you like your coffee!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  10. Hi Ella!

    I love it! Thanks so much for blogging!

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo,
      Well that is the cutest name ever! Thanks for visiting today. If you have a blog, please let me know where to come see you, too. If you come to read my blog often, I hope you will continue. You are just the kind of reader I want to get to know, and I want my writing to make you smile! If you ever want to comment again or send me an email, I promise to give you my eager attention.

      First Hug From Ella!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ella,

      No, no blog, I can't write!

      Been lurking for a while. Meredith pulled me out this summer and I am starting the journey with my husband whom I call the Sherriff.

      I will be back! Thanks for the hug!

      Boo

      Delete
    3. That's wonderful, Boo! I will look forward to hearing from you.

      More Hugs

      Delete
  11. Happy LOL days Ella, I'm not one of your quiet ones but I would really love to have a cup of that delicious coffee with you. I can smell it brewing from down under.
    Hope you entice some new people out to say hello. Have fun!
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fun, Lindy. Coffee and lots of talking. I am meeting a few new people, and it is wonderful. Writing is something I love doing again. So blogging was a perfect way for me to stretch my skills again. And it brought me friends like you.

      Sending Hugs Down Under,
      Ella

      Delete
  12. Miss Ella,
    You definitely love those learners! I enjoyed your post, very sincere. Hope you have a great couple of LOL days!
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baker,
      So glad you were able to visit today. I know you were having Blogger trouble there. Have you conquered the beast? Hope the fun will continue tomorrow. I need to put on something nice and visit a few more blogs tonight.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
    2. Thankful to Roz for suggesting to simply use another server! It's working wonders and I can use the laptop again instead of the house computer where plenty of little and not so little eyes are always trying to see what I'm doing! Nosy sort of bunch of kids we have here!
      --Baker

      Delete
    3. Just good to have you back. :)

      Delete
  13. Ella,
    It sure seems a long time ago, I received that first email from you. Glad you are here.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith,
      It was a long time. I remember how I agonized over that first hello. It took several hours for me to get up enough courage to press the Send button. These days it is harder to think about that.

      Doesn't Jimmy Durante have a song... As Time Goes By?
      Ella

      Delete
  14. I always love reading your posts. Thank-you for writing with such thoughtfulness and care. Glad to be a friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Terps! That is a high compliment coming from the sweetest blogger of all. Friends, for sure. Have fun this weekend.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  15. Hey there! Wish we could have that cuppa! Happy LOL days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Minelle! So far, you and I have never run out of things to talk about. Ha! Surely glad we both made the big step to introduce ourselves in blogland. Enjoy the old friends and welcome the new ones.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  16. What a lovely welcome to those still hesitant behind the scenes.
    You have truly set a tone to your blog Ella, and it’s one of humour, warmth, and acceptance. May this bring you a few new friends over the next couple of LOL days. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel,
      I love how you said "behind the scenes." That is perfect. I am surely grateful to have you as a reader Laurel. You have a way with words, even if you don't have your own blog, and I always look forward to your comments.

      Hugs and Smiles from Ella

      Delete
  17. Love our learners, I love it. :) And it is so true. Happy LOL Day. :)
    EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the "Love our Learners" message, EsMay. "Lurkers" is a little dark, like you are doing something you're not supposed to be. Those folks that haven't yet left a comment are thinking about it. I want to be reassuring to them. Thanks for stopping by!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  18. Hi Ella, :) It is always such a joy to come by your place! You are such an excellent writer! Your posts are loving, creative and fun too. You also are a super meme writer! (Working on getting some answers from Rob on the latest). It's a treat to ready any post!

    Mostly, thank you for being a kind, and loving friend! So happy that blogging has blessed us with so many amazing friends. So fun meeting lurkers at this event! Happy LOL Day! Hugs and love,

    ❤️Katie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Little Katie,
      You made me get a tear in my eye reading this comment. Yes, I really do think of all my readers as I write - the ones I know and the ones I don't know yet. It makes me very glad when you and others enjoy my posts.

      And I heartily agree, my friend. The pals I have made here enrich my life and bring me so much happiness. Happy LOL Days to you as well. Can't wait to read Rob's meme!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  19. Yay for coffee! Happy LOL Days. I agree with you that comments are extremely valuable and encouraging. And I love your reframe of "Lurkers" to "Learners." That is a great insight!

    PrincessImp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote you a long reply and Blogger just ate it!!! I will try again.

      So nice to have you comment today, Princess. As far as I know, you are the only royalty to ever visit here. I am honored!

      I think we are all still learners. TTWD is a dynamic relationship, and it changes over time.

      Well, I must find your blog so that I can visit you as well. That's what LOL is all about!

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete
  20. Ella:

    Happy Thanksgiving!! Shakespeare, my favorite Henry the IV!!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings, Wolfman,
      Thanks so much for stopping by today. Henry the IV, Parts 1 and 2 are my favorite histories. For a class once, I tracked Queen Margaret through the histories and did a one woman show for a graduate class I was in. Got to see Part 1 performed at the Globe in London, and it was amazing. Falstaff stole the show!

      This last August, we were there again, and I saw As You Like It (which I didn't like at all!) and Othello (which was very well done.)

      Do you have a blog, sir, because I would love to visit.

      Hugs From Ella

      Delete