Saturday, September 26, 2015

Another Spanking Good Book Report!



Recently finished a book published in August from Jaye Peaches, an author that many of you know.  I wanted to share some of my thoughts in my little book report format.  I was one of those few children who loved book reports.  This gives me the same opportunity to talk about what I like to read.  This was my first time reading a story by Jaye, and it was a wonderful tale with lots of loving spankings, and delicious sex.

Title: Sophia and the Duke

Author: Jaye Peaches

Number of Pages: 141

Themes:  Transformation, Discovery, Obedience, and Fulfillment


Setting:  Takes place in England, but Sophia's family are French and fled the Revolution.

Main Characters:
  • Sophia - the 22 year old dowager duchess of Brockenhurst.  This beautiful young widow is a bit of an aristocratic snob.  Her first marriage was not for love, but for the title and prestige that came with the elderly duke.  She has never known the love of a young, authoritative man.

  • Nathanial Hartwell - is the handsome but scruffy next-in-line for the title of Duke of Brockenhurst.  He is recalled from the wilds of Canada where he has made his living as a trapper.  He knows his duty to the title, but is unimpressed with the superficial airs of high society.

  • Maria, Comtesse d'Orbec - Sophia's domineering grandmother.  Maria pushes her granddaughter to encourage Nathanial as a suitor to retain Sophia's status as duchess as well as the family's standing in society.


All the Other Book Report Stuff - 


Sophia and the Duke is definitely a period piece, but well
researched.  The history and details of that era in England give a richness to the story of these 2 people.  It adds interest that Sophia's people came to England to avoid the turmoil of the French Revolution.

When we first meet Sophia, we come to know fairly quickly that she is rich and spoiled.  She is likeable, though, and her aristocratic airs are soon understood when the author describes Sophia's grandmother.  When, at last, the mourning period for her first husband comes to an end, I couldn't help smiling when the author describes Sophia's joy.  "Sophia spun on her tiptoes, her arms
outstretched.  She felt glorious like a bird released from a tiny cage."  An excellent simile, and one used by many revered English authors.  This quote is also a foretelling of her relationship with Nathanial.

Since her first husband, the Duke of Brockenhurst died without an heir, the title is passed down to a distant cousin that has to be located in the wilderness of Canada.  Enter Nathanial Hartwell - young, handsome, and masterful.  When the two first meet, I really liked that they didn't fall in love the moment they saw each other.  Although they do acknowledge the beauty and presence of the other.  It was also refreshing to have the hero and heroine both pleasure themselves while just thinking of the other.  I haven't run
across that very often in spanking fiction.  My favorite scene early on was when they parried back and forth over breakfast like a little fencing match.  Touche'

We soon see each of them trying to remake the other to suit themselves, and it makes for some fiery exchanges.  Sophia tries to teach Nathanial the acceptable behavior for a duke.  And Nathanial tries to teach her to show him kindness and acceptance without the sarcasm and pettiness to which she so easily reverts.

There is a central theme of transformation in this book.  Sort of a "Spanking Pygmalion" story, except both the characters are playing the mentor and the student.  However, we all know which one we want to emerge as the dominant one!  And boy, does he.

When Sophia mocks him at the ball because he cannot yet dance well, she gets her comeuppance in a mighty big way.  Before he spanks her Nathanial says, "I may have improved my manners; now
it is your turn.  Your drawers, Sophia, remove them."  Oh, be still my beating heart!

Be ready for a 2 chapter wedding night with the most titillating descriptions.  Sophia may have been married before, but it is Nathanial that teaches her to make love and take love.  The "honeymoon" is a complete surprise to both Sophia and the reader.  Some very innovative spanking implements are employed as Nathanial trains his new bride to be obedient, humble, and kind.  She really does learn that being submissive will bring her happiness and fulfillment.

Enjoyed this book enough to read it twice.  I usually love cowboy spanking books the best, but I am truly making an exception for this Duke.  Thanks, JP!  




































14 comments:

  1. Hi Ella, great book report for a great book!!
    we are so lucky to have lots of authors as friends out here in Blogland :)
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Jan. It is so much fun to read an author who is also a blog friend. Glad you have read it, too! And so glad you liked my report. I loved the attention to history and detail in this book.

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  2. You make this sound like a wonderful story, and since I really do like your taste in books I'm definitely going to be reading it. Your book reports are excellent, you get an A+ on each one so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, PK. It is a wonderful story. I had a dual major in school - education and English. I love when a period piece gets the history right and the characters dynamic. You will not be disappointed. It is really a good read.

      Am trying to come up with a permanent name for my book reports/reviews. I do have so much fun writing about the books I read. Already dreaming of the next Cassie story, my friend!

      Ella Anticipating

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your wonderful report. I love the format, quite different and refreshing to read. My dad's a historian, and I like to include a few real event facts, in amongst the sexy bits.
    :) DF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DF, glad you like this post. Perhaps a few more people will get to know the books by Jaye. :) I am certainly planning on reading other titles. Good for you on the historical facts. As I say above, it adds a richness to the story.

      Hugs Across the Pond,
      Ella

      Delete
  4. That was an excellent book report Ella. I will have to read this now. You have such a lovely way of describing books. thank you.
    Lindy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindy,
      So glad you liked the book report. I really do enjoy writing them. My favorite college courses were always English Literature. I wrote dozens of papers and even had one chosen to be published.

      I, too, like the format, but I am searching for a new name for my book review posts.

      Hugs,
      Ella

      Delete
  5. Wow Ella, what a wonderful book report. I haven't managed to get to read this yet but definitely will! I love Jaye's writing and have enjoyed every excerpt of this book I have read. Thank you :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Roz. I know I love to write them, but I am never sure if anyone likes to read them. :) Since this was my first reading of a Jaye Peaches' book, I am now working my way back to some older ones as well.

    Hugs,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, Ella, I love Jaye's books and have lots of them. She is an excellent writer who seems to effortlessly flit from one genre to another. This is a very thoughtful and well written review.

    Hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, Ami! It was my first JP book, but it will not be my last. I have yet to explore her other genres. Glad you liked the review.

      Ella Happy That Ami Came to Visit!

      Delete
  8. thank-you for book report...it is on my reading wish list... :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you, Terps. I always wish I had more time to read. Once in a great while I will take a day off and read in bed the whole day. Luxury!

    Hugs from Ella

    ReplyDelete